Common Home Renovation Questions Answered
Remodeling your home is an exciting process. A great remodel can make you feel like you have an entirely new home, and if you have a kitchen or bathroom you’ve never remodeled before and your house is a few years old, a makeover is probably long overdue. Naturally, though, you have questions. How much does it cost to remodel your house? How long does it take to do a kitchen remodel? To help put some of your concerns to rest, here are some answers to common questions about home renovation.
1. How Long Do Remodel Projects Take?
The first thing you will probably be wondering about is what your home renovation timeline will look like. This will vary depending upon the size of your home and the scope of your remodel, and a kitchen remodel timeline may look very different from a bathroom remodel timeline. Here are some basic guidelines for what you can expect.
- How Long Does It Take to Do a Kitchen Remodel? Once you’ve gone through the planning and design of your kitchen renovation, the average timeline to complete the job is usually between four to six weeks. Special materials and custom-made product requirements can extend the length of the job, so keep that in mind. Going into a project, you should set out the agreed-upon timeline with your contractor, and know that you likely will not have access to that space until the remodel is complete.
- How Long Does It Take to Do a Bathroom Remodel? Since the bathroom is usually smaller than the kitchen, it might not take quite as long, but you should still allow four to five weeks for the remodel. Again, if you’re getting a special tub or faucets that have to be special ordered from Europe, you might have to tack on some extra time.
- How Long Does It Take to Finish a Basement? As with the other projects, you should usually allot about four to six weeks for a completed basement – depending on the current level of finish and any issues like water or mildew.
2. What Is the Remodeling Process Like? What Do I Need to Be Responsible For?
Your most important role is during the design and planning phase. Make sure your contractor knows exactly what you’re looking for in a remodel, and that you understand what’s possible and what the work will entail with respect to time and money. Make sure your contractor understands what the budget is and that you have a contract outlining the responsibilities of both parties.
Get a Free Quote
- How Much Will It All Cost? Costs of renovating your home can vary widely. The size of the home, the complexity of the renovation and the number of rooms you are renovating are all major factors. The average cost to remodel a home in the United States is a little over $36,000, but can range up to $120,000 and beyond depending on the area you live in and the finishes you select. However, financing is often available, and you can do one room at a time to ease the pain.
- Do I Need Permits to Remodel My Home? Possibly. You will usually require a permit if you are changing the structure of the home, such as altering the roofline, adding a sunroom or putting in a fireplace. Things like putting in hardwood flooring or a new bathtub that don’t alter the overall structure of the house usually don’t require a permit.
- Can I Remodel My Home in the Winter? You absolutely can, and in fact, since remodeling is usually slower in the winter, it’s a great time to do so.
Contact Colebrook Construction for High-Quality Remodeling with the Personal Touch
If you’re looking to remodel any part of your home in and around the Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, area, contact Colebrook Construction. Our team is made up of experts who specialize in each task, and our owner, Mark Molesevich, is the job production manager – so you know you’re getting expert, personal attention on every job. Mark has more than 20 years of experience serving homeowners, and you get the benefit of that personal experience in every job we do.
Let us show you how great your home can look. Contact Colebrook Construction Inc. for a free quote today.